TERCEIRA Island - Angra do Heroismo






Angra do Heroísmo town was established in the latter half of the 15th century. Angra served as a place of exile for Almeida Garrett during the Napoleonic Wars. It also served as a refuge for Queen Maria II of Portugal from 1830 to 1833. Angra is the Portuguese word for "inlet", "cove", or "bay". The epithet do Heroísmo ("of Heroïsm", "the Heroïc") was granted to the city by Maria II to commemorate its citizens' successful defense of the island against a Miguelist assault in 1829.


It was classified as a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1983. World Heritage Site since 1983, the city of Angra do Heroísmo achieved this title because of its urban plan and outline, which testifies for Portuguese history in general and Portuguese navigation history in particular.







Igreja da Misericordia - This church dates back to the 18th century and is currently classed as Building of Public Interest.

Teatro Angrense -
Palacio Bettencourt - Public library and archive.

Convento de S. Gonçalo - Picture inside forbidden
Street art whale -
Palacio dos Capitaes Generais & it's church -








Igreja do Santissimo Salvador de Sé - This cathedral is considered to be the biggest temple of the archipelago, its construction began in 1570 over the ruins of the gothic church of the Holy Saviour (fifteenth century) and ended 42 years later. Inside the highlight is the silver frontal of the altar of the Blessed Sacrament made by local artisans during the eighteenth century.



Obelisco do Alto da Memoria - Built with stone from the old Moinhos Castle, this obelisk was erected in 1856 to pay homage to the visit of King D. Pedro IV to the island during the Portuguese Civil War. The first stone used for its construction was one of the stones that the emperor had stepped on when he disembarked in 1832. It affords an excellent panoramic view over Angra do Heroísmo.


View Monte Brasil - An extinct volcano of three square kilometres, it is surrounded by the four km long walls of the São João Baptista Fort, nowadays the oldest fortress that has been continuously occupied by the Portuguese army.


Former convent and church of Saint Francis - Baroque convent currently functioning as the Museum of Angra do Heroísmo. The church of Saint Francis is located by the museum and it is open to visitors, who can also admire the statue of João Corte Real.
Igreja de Conceição - 


(c) Chavanitas